The Hive

I'm just another dude with too much time on his hands. It really doesn't have anything to do with ants.

Friday, October 21, 2005

We're gonna rock this city tonight?

So I'm standing around the store doing various menial tasks when I notice the song on the radio includes the lyrics "We're gonna rock this city tonight." In fact, it's pretty much nothing but that line, along with a few other promises as to how hard said city is going to be rocked.

I've probably heard that song 20-30 times before, but it strikes me that no one ever really "rocks" the city no matter how hard they try, right? Not just by drinking and carousing with women, anyway, which is what I'm led to believe is taking place here. Now, bombing a city would probably qualify as "rocking" it, or declaring martial law, announcing a 20% pay cut for the city PD, maybe even winning a major sporting event--now that's rocking.

But if your plan to shake the very foundations of a city includes drinking up a few bottles of its liquor supply and then vomiting them back up on the small black dresses of the city's woman supply, I believe you need to lower your expectations for just how awesome the evening is going to be.

6 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, Blogger RhysDavid said...

The only place I've ever rocked was the parking lot at Ken's old Pullman place.

Oh yes! Rocked thoroughly!! I'm sure you remember.

Oh, and once when I was so drunk that I peed in someone's houseplant. I rocked the shit out of that fuckin' plant!!

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Ed said...

Hell yeah I remember that! You rocked the shit out of that parking lot!

Actually, I can think of two occasions that come close to legitimate city-rocking. First one's that time Ken and his buddies lit a couch on fire and then something else later and the crowd took over and was throwing beer bottles at policemen, but even then, you wouldn't really call Pullman a "city." But they rocked that middling burgh pretty well.

The other time is when the Patriots won the first of their Super Bowls, against the Rams back in 2002 I think it was, and Trevor got swept up in a sports-riot that involved various car-trashings and also much throwing of bottles.

But even then, was the entire city rocked because some dude's Nova got its windows smashed in? Highly doubtful. They rocked that guy's insurance premiums, maybe, but not really the city of Boston.

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger ladyC said...

I've never heard it, but it sounds like a crap song. you can rock any place if you drink enough, smoke enough, or eat enough magic mushrooms.
if ben folds can rock the suburbs, then so can we. I have no idea what I'm saying. I have the flu and feel like shit.

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger RhysDavid said...

You know what's great for flu symptons?!? Heroin! Be sure to mainline it though, cause snorting when you're congested is HARD!

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger ladyC said...

rhys, you are the fucking man! stay away from my houseplants, though.

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger ladyC said...

who the fuck sings that song, anyway?

-cricket.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home