The Hive

I'm just another dude with too much time on his hands. It really doesn't have anything to do with ants.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Heh

So I'm rereading my book, which is something I do when I'm working up the inspiration to do something new. This used to be a grueling task, torturous even, what with all the botched sentiments and clumsy sentences, but these days, after it's all been rewritten at least twice and in some cases as many as four or five times, I honestly like it more than I dislike it. I'm even surprised now and then by something I've written, like in this bit from a scene where someone's trying to convince the narrator to kill his wife for money:


"Ten before, forty on completion." Kiev laid his palms out on the desk like a straight flush and tilted his head forward until he was able to watch me over the lenses of his glasses. "What does your license have to say about that?"
"Nothing relevant, I'm sure." It was one thing to poke that kind of figure around the old mental abacus; it was another to hear it out loud, to know that such an offer existed. I supposed it would be similar to finding definitive proof of Bigfoot, if Bigfoot were made of solid gold.


Heh! "...if Bigfoot were made of solid gold"!

It all comes from the revisions, though, that's what I've learned. Cause basically with each revision, you're cutting out the worst, most egregious stuff and replacing it with stuff that comes with all the experience you've gained since you originally wrote it. End result is a significant improvement with each rewrite.

4 Comments:

At 9:17 PM, Blogger RhysDavid said...

I like it.

I imagine it's hard to know when something's been revised enough, and should be left alone.

Cause too much could turn it into something totally different from what you wanted.

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger RhysDavid said...

P.S.

It was the heat of the moment.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger RhysDavid said...

P.P.S. I'M DRUNK!!!!!!

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger Ed said...

Lucky sod

My book's way different now than the first draft, but I don't mind that. Because what I want from it now IS much different, and, I think, better. I'd revise it more if I knew what more to do with it, or if I didn't want to get my act together and finish something new, assuming I could rope together the energy to do that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home